Monday, February 16, 2009

That Just Tars Me All to Pieces

Well this weekend I was in Nashville, Tennessee. Now normally I never work on Sundays, but this was a special circumstance 1. Because I haven't been out since mid-December and 2. It is right before the bi-annual meeting in Florida, so I cannot go out next week either.
Right now, I'm sitting in Murfreesboro, Tennessee right now, waiting for my shuttle to the airport to arrive. Something I've noticed about myself is that during the weeks that I'm working, I don't really like talking to people. I speak for 2 hours a day straight, twice a day and after that, I am done talking. On the way to this hotel, my shuttle driver would not shut up. He was a very nice man, but in the 20 something minutes I was in his shuttle (and I was the only one in the shuttle), I found out his entire life story. I'm not joking, he said he lived in Indiana with his girlfriend that was 18 years older than him. He told me about every job he ever had. He described every detail about the shuttle business. He also told me about every celebrity he ever saw. I maybe said ten words the entire trip, just to be nice. I think he's picking me up today. Ah yes, there he is now.
Well, he didn't talk too much this morning. I was kind of looking forward to it... or rather, prepared for it. I guess he already told me everything.
On the way here, I got to the SLC airport with plenty of time to spare. I got my shoes shined. I always appreciate the people who shine my shoes because they are very hard working, most of them take a lot of pride in their work, and they are generally humble. In my opinion it takes someone very humble to clean another's feet... I love talking to these guys (or girl, in the Denver airport). The nice man that shined my shoes this week was hispanic. We got to talking about his job and he said he loves what he does. He says that he can come late and not get any flack, he only has to put in his 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and then gets his two days off. I guess I find this so interesting because I, myself could never do that. I guess I'm just not comfortable with complacency. To me, complacency does not breed progression. The thing I did like about him though is that he was happy with what he did. It fit him. Isn't that the dream of many American's: to be happy in what you do?
Valentine's Day was this week. I've always liked Valentine's Day no matter my relationship status. Chocolate, strawberries, flowers, pink, white, and red: who wouldn't want these things? I like seeing them everywhere, it's happy. What I do hate is all the whiners. "WAH... I'm single. Couples are not. WAH!!!" I look at it like this: No one likes someone who is bitter because they are single. Men are that they might have joy. If you can't be happy with yourself when you are single, how are you going to be happy when you take on another's problems?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow, 3 posts for me to read! Thank you! I finally am getting around to reading posts and hopefully will have a new one of my own soon. Life has been pretty busy.

I don't think I've invited you to my blog. Text me your email so I can!