Tuesday, April 27, 2010

You've Got a Friend in Me

I've been thinking a lot lately about friendship and to be quite honest, I'm fed up with it. Now I'm not fed up with the friends I have nor creating new friendships. I'm more fed up with the way the word "friend" is abused. I think this is mostly due to the broad meaning that the word "friend" comprises. For example, I have kept in contact with someone I dated quite seriously and she says she wants to be friends, but to me, my friends are excited to see me. We were at the same function last night and I seriously have gotten a warmer greeting from the drive through lady at Wendy's.
Another example is girls whom I have just met (and may or may not be interested in) seem to discount me immediately and make it painfully clear that I am their friend. Really, if you have to remind someone in conversation that you are friends, I don't think you quite grasp the meaning of the word. Why can't they just say right out that they're not interested? Sure, it's a bit painful to hear and maybe even to say, but skirting around the issue and hiding behind the pretense of being "friends" is on the precipice of lying. Everyone wants to be friends. I don't really know anyone who starts out the day figuring out how many enemies they should make that day.
And there is the final example of girls who get so frustrated with this very thing themselves, but immediately turn around and do the same thing to someone else. A couple of examples (who will remain nameless) immediately come to mind.
I want to one day marry my best friend. But to me, the word "friend" has recently become tasteless in my mouth. I have enough "friends"... I want something more.

No comments: