Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Ignorance?

Something interesting happened a moment ago. I'm in Grand Rapids, MI for the week and I had finished my session for the day when a woman approached me. She asked me why I went to Brasil. I told her that I was there for a religious mission. Here's how the rest went:

"Are you Jewish?"
"No, I'm Christian."
"If I may ask, what denomination are you?"
"I'm belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You may know them as Mormons."
"I'm sorry."
"For what?"
"That you're a Mormon."
"Oh... Okay... Well, thanks for coming today. I hope you enjoyed yourself."
"I did. I had a very good time."

Now I don't know if this woman realized, but it made her look very foolish and ignorant. One of my co-workers watched the whole thing and looked on with an appalled face as it happened.

She said she had been a religious missionary as well, and she had a ring with a cross on it. It made me wonder to myself, "How can you call yourself a Christian and still have that kind of intolerance for any of God's children?" My heart aches for her and hopes that she can learn true charity and how to follow our Savior's example. I haven't encountered this kind of ignorance in a long time and I have never had that kind of reaction to someone discovering what I believe. I makes me a little sad inside.

No comments: