Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What's on your Mind?

Ever notice the ever growing way to communicate with people but not really communicate with them? My belief is that society is growing farther apart the more methods with which we have to communicate.

Twitter: Update what you are doing and hope that it's clever enough that someone cares enough to respond.

Blogging: Good for finding out about people, yet still lacking in true conversation.

MySpace: Can you even read stuff on people's pages anymore- it's so cluttered with other things

Facebook: You can add someone as a friend and then never talk to them again. You can update your page and status and even comment on other people's items, yet that's all it is, a comment. If you don't want to talk with someone, you block them or ignore them. If you want to invite them somewhere, they can get a mass invitation. "Oh, by the way, party at my house on Friday and I cared so much that I am personally inviting you... and the other 400 people on my friends list."

Texting: "I don't really want to talk to you, so... here's a short message instead. We can converse like this."

Message Boards: "Look how clever I am to come up with a response to this meaningless subject, see how smart I am?"


I think we are becoming too reliant on these forms of communication as a society and that our interactions are losing meaning and value as we continue to do so. Someone I know pointed out that as our forms of communication have progressed, its value has decreased.

Give me a meaningful face to face conversation and I fill fulfilled. Send me a text and I feel undervalued.



I have noticed that as we have "progressed" our communication, our words, have become less descriptive, weak, and I daresay, redundant. I was reading Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island the other day and soaked in all the radiance of so many prepossesing words that appear to have been forgotten. No one writes like that anymore and it's sad. America's literature has been "dumbed down" to fit the lowest level. In that process, America as a whole has been "dumbed down."

*Heavy Sigh*



1 comment:

Kim said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHEsoqJP4mk